Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Harder & Steenbecks Infinity Solo -airbrush

A little spotlight on the airbrush that I am using to paint my miniatures.

About a year/year and a half ago I decided to get an airbrush. I read a lot of info on different airbrushes but eventually I got Harder & Steenbecks: Infinity Solo airbrush. (I first noticed it when Les from Awesomepaintjob.com used it in one of his videos).

It comes with incredibly small 0,15mm nozzle. You can paint very small areas with it which fits miniature-painting perfectly. Downsize in this ofcourse is that it chokes up rather easily, so you have to keep the concistency on the paint very thin. I have a few most used paints in different pots, but usually I just mix up my paints straight in the cup. Few drops of water and a drop of paint, and sometimes a drop of retarder to longen the drying-time.

I only have the 2ml paint cup for this, but it has been more than enough on my projects.

It's not the cheapest of airbrushes but you get what you pay for. So if you are looking for a A-grade airbrush I can whole heartedly recommend this one. (There are multiple A-grade airbrushes to choose from but this one is the only one I have personally used).

Pics of the airbrush:




Now a good quality airbrush ofcourse needs a steady stream of air to support it.
I paint inside my "computer room" -so I needed it to be as silent as possible and it had to be indoor-usable. Small size is also a plus so I can store it away. This ruled out the big ones with a tank.

Eventually I got a Sparmax -compressor which is made for airbrushing:


I didn't notice to put anything next to it to give a size comparison, but it is small. Since it doesn't have a tank it's always on when I paint, but it's pretty silent. It has a regulator for the airflow, and a moisture trap fitted out of the box which is nice. So far it has been working perfectly for my needs.


Airbrush is a great tool in miniature painting. It takes some practice but It's easy to set up and get going once you get the hang of it.

Thx for looking, and if you have any questions feel free to drop a comment. :)


TabletopCop

2 comments:

  1. Nice one, how much have you spent on the airbrush itself and the compressor?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All in all it was close to 400e. Stinged a little bit yes but I have no regrets. =p

      Delete